Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Communication problem via RS232 over SMI and Step/Dir problem.

Communication problem via RS232 over SMI and Step/Dir problem. 5 years 10 months ago #737

• Xavierov
  • Fresh Boarder
I recently got a "new" SM2320SQ Smartmotor and managed to get it to work over 3 hours finding out that the COM ports of 2 of 3 PCs where not working.

I tried to set it to work in Step / Dir mode with the MS command, this worked fine until I turned off the Motor. So I tried to upload it as a program and tried various ways but nothing worked.

The problem now is that I can't connect to the motor anymore.
It only spammed the ms line with "X" as a response to my RMODE request and discontinued working after several retries.

First of all.. how can i "reset" the motor?

And after that: How can I set to motor to permanently run in Step/Dir mode?
I also need to adjust the electronic gear and maybe PID characteristics.

It will be used as Z-Axis so maybe I should also play with the gravity constant here :/ But im fairly new.

Thanks!
Max
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Communication problem via RS232 over SMI and Step/Dir problem. 5 years 10 months ago #738

• Xavierov
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok, i managed to get it "reseted" again.
I can upload programs now and control it with the Playground (Btw just with the torgue control)

I still can't figure out how to constantly set it to step/dir :/
I downloaded several manuals but found nothing about that topic.

Re: Communication problem via RS232 over SMI and Step/Dir problem. 5 years 10 months ago #739

• csearcy
  • Thank you received: 77
The manuals for your motor are in the Legacy section.
www.animatics.com/legacy-downloads.html?task=view

Re: Communication problem via RS232 over SMI and Step/Dir problem. 5 years 10 months ago #741

• Xavierov
  • Fresh Boarder
I already downloaded 3 manuals for the motor.
I got the motor to follow a encoder but uploaded a program with an error afterwards.
Now the motor is, again, only outputing random symbols and won't let me re-adress it or delete/write on the eeprom.
It also won't react to the "playground" or display the correct motor status (just random values)
I tried to stop/end/brake etc,. it but nothing helps.
I can control the motor if the EEPROM is removed. I had the same problem yesterday but the error dissapeared after stopping it several times.
Is there another way to delete the EEPROM with its faulty program?

Re: Communication problem via RS232 over SMI and Step/Dir problem. 5 years 10 months ago #745

• csearcy
  • Thank you received: 77
Max... Please let me know if this got resolved through a tech support request or call. If not, are you still having problems?
Thanks,
Chuck

Re: Communication problem via RS232 over SMI and Step/Dir problem. 5 years 10 months ago #746

• Xavierov
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry for the late response, I was busy troubleshooting and tuning the rest of the machine.
I got rid of the problem by directly sending a stop command after turning on the smartmotor power.
Programming is now pretty easy and straight forward, I'll probably use them also for the other axis.

The application is a vertical Z-Axis with a linear-module that has to move a 9kg load with about 3000mm/min. pitch of the screw is 5mm/turn
now my tuning values are:
KP=500 KI=350 KD=1800 KL=3000 KS=1

Altough we are tinkering arround with the tuning values since then and got a big resonance problem that intereferes with the smartmotors movement.
When the Motor that is mounted to the Z-Axis starts up, the machine resonates at some certain frequencies and disturbes the smartmotors movement. It looses steps or, if standing still, moves some mm up or totally stalls.
I was wondering how it can loose its position in step/dir?

Sorry for the totally offtopic question

PS:Are there any "demo values" for vertical applications via a linearmodule?
  • Page:
Moderators: hsummer, csearcy, swalters, mmeyers
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds