Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best Practice for Emergency Stop Integration

Best Practice for Emergency Stop Integration 2 years, 1 month ago #1588

• JefAWI
Hi.

I'm designing a system with an integrated SM23165DT and I was wondering if I could get some guidance on best practices for integrating the motor with an emergency stop circuit.

Is getting the motor with the DE option always best?

If I don't have a DE option motor and don't care about maintaining position during an E-stop, but want to interrupt power, what's the best way?

Should I interrupt the DC motor power? I think I read that this was a bad practice with SmartMotors.

If I interrupt the AC to my power supply, there is a lot of residual energy remaining in the system before the motor stops. Should I also switch in a power resistor on the DC side of the motor in this case to bring the motor to a quick halt?

Thanks for the help anyone has to offer.

Jeff.

Re: Best Practice for Emergency Stop Integration 2 years, 1 month ago #1589

• csearcy
Hi Jeff,
The -DE option is always best to have. If you don't have it, you usually have to re-home.
In either case, the easiest way to interrupt power is on the AC side of the power supply. If you have a problem with the motor still moving as the power drops out, you can use an I/O on the motor to detect that the E-Stop was pushed, and halt motion(you can program an interrupt for this).
If you need to break power on the DC side, you need to have a Shunt wired in the circuit, so that the Shunt stays with the motor, not the power supply.
If you have a high inertia load or rapid starts and stops, the Shunt is a good idea even if you are breaking power on the AC side(just to protect the motor from it's own BEMF).
-Chuck

Re: Best Practice for Emergency Stop Integration 2 years ago #1594

• GRAHAM
I am using the -DE option.

I need to query the motor periodically to see whether or not the eStop has been pressed.

I am having a bit of difficulty getting this to work.

Is my best bet to use the command PRINT(Bo,#13) and just loop that? I've noticed that the Smartmotor playground recognizes the eStop event (and release) instantly but this is not the case for when I try to do it programmatically.

I cannot find an example code for this.

Any help appreciated!

-Graham

Re: Best Practice for Emergency Stop Integration 2 years ago #1595

• csearcy
RUJA will return the bus voltage(48000 would represent 48VDC). If it's a Class5 motor, you can also check status bits. Bit 13 of Status Word 6 is Low Bus Voltage. You can check that bit with RB(6,13). Either one will let you know the Drive Power is off.

Re: Best Practice for Emergency Stop Integration 4 months ago #2261

Hi all !

Is someone can provides me an example on how to program a Halt Motion into an interrupt ? I need to stop the motor when the emergency stop is pressed.

Thanks !
  • Page:
Moderators: hsummer, csearcy
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds