Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Changing IO cable types

Changing IO cable types 2 years, 3 months ago #1539

I recently had a IO cable get cut on a machine. I replaced it with one that we had on the shelf. and found that there are more than one type of cable.

I put in a CBLIO43 cable, but the old cable was I believe a CBLIO5V type.

The OEM used a grayhill breakout board on this one machine.

I say "CBLIO5V type" because the wire colors on the old cable do not match up with the ones on this site.

I only need to use the Inputs A and B for the logic in the Smartmotor.

So currently I have pins 1, 2, 12 and 13 being used.

So can I use this CBLIO43 and use it to control the grayhill relay, or do I need to order a different cable?

Re: Changing IO cable types 2 years, 3 months ago #1540

• csearcy
The CBLIO5V is a straight through 15 pin/wire cable. The CBLIO43 cable actually does 24VDC to 5VDC and 5VDC to 24VDC inside the D-Sub shell. The cables are very different and are not interchangeable.

A document on the CBLIO43 can be found at www.animatics.com/legacy-downloads.html?task=view
near the bottom of the page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gvanauken

Re: Changing IO cable types 2 years, 2 months ago #1562

Ok so now I have a new issue.
I changed the cables to the CBLIO5V and have erratic motor positioning.
When I first plugged them in and powered up the machine the Red LED was very dim on the smart motor.
If I unplugged the IO cable it would get bright like normal, and stay that way after I plugged it back in.

I checked and had the 5v and 0v wires reversed on the 2 new cables, not sure if that was the issue with LED or not. Anyhow, the com cable is only using pin 1 as e-stop pin 2 as home input(in program) pin 12 +5V and pin 13 0V. This goes into the grayhills breakout relay board.

So now when I put the cables on and run the machine the motors will stop in mid positioning, some times it will return to its start(like it is supposed to).
If I were to run the machine with the com cables unplugged from the motor, it runs flawless.
Thats when I found the issue with the +5v and 0V reversed. I fixed that issue (i stopped paying attention to the LEDs at that point) but the stopping continued.

I ran machine most of the day with cables unplugged while I rechecked the wiring, everything looks correct. My last attempt this morning was to take all the wires and run them to thier own terminal strips the only thing hooked up is the shield to ground all others are isolated.
I plugged the cables into the motor and the motor still runs erratic. Now I am at a loss The D-sub connector is not connected to the cable shield from the factory, so the shield cant be feeding noise into the motor. I have checked all pins and cables several times, so where is this noise/interference coming from?

Re: Changing IO cable types 2 years, 2 months ago #1563

update: on these 2 motors i removed both shields from ground. Result was the same.
i seperated both shields from each other and left them off of ground and the problem went away.
So i'm thinking I have a bad cable (shorting inside) even though they are both new.

Re: Changing IO cable types 2 years, 2 months ago #1564

• csearcy
You could have a ground loop. It seems unlikely that two cables would be bad. You could ring them out if you have a multi-meter.

Re: Changing IO cable types 2 years, 2 months ago #1565

IO cables ring out fine.
I checked the power cable and the shield to the d-sub is high around 4 Ohm. I am thinking its the power cable thats giving me issues.
So correct me if I am wrong.
The shield on the IO cable IS NOT connected to the D-sub connector.
The shield on the power cable IS connected to the D-sub connector.
  • Page:
Moderators: hsummer, csearcy
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds