SMI - SmartMotor InterfaceSMI is used for communicating with SmartMotor servos and developing downloadable code and SMI includes many tools for diagnostics.
SmartMotor™ Interface (SMI) Software for programming all SmartMotor™
Key Features in Version 3:
- New Program Editor includes undo/redo commands and group tabbing for more efficient programming
- SmartMotor fieldbus network view and extended CANopen support for smoother fieldbus integration
- Context Sensitive Help for instant access to full keyword descriptions
- Revised help system provides documentation access when working online or offline
- Preprocessor Extension for specifying include files, defining macros, and more, to speed application development
Download SMI at no cost using the SMI Download button above and use the installation wizard to install SMI, SMIEngine™ and Coordinated Motion.
The SMIEngine is a component library that uses the Component Object Model (COM) to define functions that perform the following tasks:
- Configuring and communicating with Moog Animatics SmartMotors
- Compiling/Downloading/Uploading/Debugging compiled user programs (“.smx” files)
- Controlling the motors using Coordinated Motion (Contouring or Host Mode)
- Creating circular and linear path coordinates used for Coordinated Motion
Polling Features to Monitor Functions
The Moog Animatics SmartMotor Interface has special user-defined polling features to help you monitor important functions conveniently. Monitor different status bits, variables, and I/O from any motor in a chain, even during application execution.
The SMI Program Editor has many improvements to make programming fast and efficient, such as:
- Optional display of line numbers for faster program debugging
- Undo/Redo functions, similar to other Windows-based software, facilitating better program editing
- Keyword tooltips; no need for remembering the function of every keyword
- Context Sensitive Help – simply highlight the keyword and press F1 to see a complete description
- Programs saved as standard text files, allowing direct import to other software
Do you need to put an SMI project on hold? SMI contains a feature called “Projects” - a project is a set of information about the work environment that is stored in a file (Project file) and can be retrieved in future sessions. You can create different projects based on your different configuration setups. The Project menu items allow you to create, configure, save and manage your projects.
Would you like to be able to see and modify your motion control settings on-the-fly? With SMI , you can. Connect your SmartMotor to your computer, start SMI , and the SmartMotor Playround window opens. SMI automatically detects connected motors and gathers data in the Motor Info tab. In the SMI Playground, you can modify Torque, Velocity, and Position settings in real-time.
Using numerical values for input, or the interactive interface with drag and drop, sliders, and radio buttons, you can see the results immediately.
- Dockable windows. The SMI workspace includes dockable windows that you can access from the toolbar. Simply double-click the title bar to toggle the window between floating and docked views.
The Information view displays error and information messages and allows you to go directly to the message’s source location.
- The Serial Data Analyzer view displays data transfers between your computer and Moog Animatics SmartMotor™. You can filter the data to display only the information you want; for example, choose to display transmitted data, received data, or echoed data.
- The Configuration view displays the current communication and motor configuration in a hierarchy structure that you can save as a Project for reuse.
- The Terminal view creates a tabbed page for each port so you can communicate with individual or multiple SmartMotors.
- Other views help you collect data and monitor SmartMotor operation. The Chart View is a collection of user-defined motor parameters (Chart Items) that you can select to monitor during motor operation in a dynamic graphical display.
With SMI, you get a robust software application specifically designed to manage your SmartMotor motion control requirements.