What type of encoder output can SM23165D be wired

6 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
 Tack
(@Tack)
New Member Guest

Hi Moog Animatics.

My application about SM23165D is used to trace some defects on my production line .
Each defect coordination will send to SM23165D by RS232 communication (DB15) from AOI system, and the Smart Motor use external encoder to trace the exact position of production line and wait for defects come , when the defect is near my printer , I will trigger the printer to mark on the defect.

I know there are several type of encoder output ,such as push-pull ,line driver ,open collector or voltage output , I want to know what type encoder output can wire to SM23165D ?

Posted : 16/07/2019 12:52 am
(@mmeyer)
New Member Guest

Either a push-pull or NPN open-collector output will work with the Class 5D motors.

Posted : 16/07/2019 8:01 am
 Tack
(@Tack)
New Member Guest

Hi mmeyer,

Thanks for your reply.
I notice some description from Moog 's document "System Best Practices" Application Note ,in page 21,it says " Ports 0 and 1 may be configured as Phase A and B encoder input or Step and Direction input. To ensure proper operation when following external encoders, it is strongly advised to use Line Driver encoders or encoders with true push-pull drive" .

So it seems like Line Driver output can also be work with Class -5D SM ???

Posted : 16/07/2019 9:27 pm
(@csearcy)
New Member Guest

Yes. Line Driver output can be used. The I/O are TTL sinking and have an internal pull-up resistor to 5VDC. The encoder output must be able to pull the I/O port down.

Posted : 16/07/2019 9:37 pm
 Tack
(@Tack)
New Member Guest

Hi csearcy ,
Thanks for your reply.
I also have some other problem about how encoder input to SM23165D , if you can help me understand it I will really appreciate .

(1)
When I use line driver output signal to my SM23165D port 0 and port 1 ,should I star ground encoder with smart motor ?

(2)
We know Line Driver encoder output TTL 5V phase pair A and /A (or B and /B ) , this complementary pair can be used to eliminate noise signal during transmission .The the document of SM23165D show (A and B) phases to be wired to smart motor port0 and port1.
I am wondering if SM23165D can work with TTL 5V signal ,but it don't have the capability to use these complementary signal to eliminate noise .

(2)SM23165D use port 8 and port 9 to output encoder signal ,I want to know which output circuit type is used .

(3)Can port 8(ENC A out) and port9(ENC B out) use as a pulse splitter from external encoder ?

Posted : 17/07/2019 12:12 am
(@csearcy)
New Member Guest

1. You must connect the signal ground from the external encoder to pin 13 on the 15-pin D-Sub. Both devices must have a common ground reference. The same should be done with two SmartMotors. (Pin13 to Pin13).

2a and 2b. The encoder itself only has a single ended output. It is TTL logic coming straight from the internal encoder. It can not be scaled. Use twisted/shielded pair with shields tied to a single point ground. Route the low level circuits like this as far away from conductors that carry high voltage, noise, and spikes (air conduit method). If you are using an encoder with A and /A etc... use the /A lines as the I/O port0 and port1 are sinking logic.

3. The encoder output from the SmartMotor is 5VDC TTL and can not be scaled. If you connect one SmartMotor encoder to another SmartMotor port0 and port1, you can change multiple scaling parameters to allow for simple gearing, camming, as well as complex winding applications by using the built in firmware commands..

Posted : 17/07/2019 10:58 pm
Share: